Escape The Ordinary: 10 Best Places To Visit In October
October brings with it colorful vistas of landscapes since it is the mid of Autumn season in many countries. With hundreds of hidden villages, historic towns, and bustling cities, there are many great places to base yourself and explore all that October offers. On top of cozy accommodation options, there is plenty to see, do, visit, and experience, no matter which city or village you decide to stay in. So escape the ordinary and visit these exotic 10 best places in October.
Where To Next?
Wiltshire is a great spot to live if you enjoy seeing a rainbow of hues. In October, you will be surrounded by a kaleidoscope of colors, from deep reds to bright oranges and warm golds. One such spot is Stonehenge and Gardens in Wiltshire, where you may enjoy this scenic vista. Many trees around a large, picturesque lake begin changing colors at the start of October.
Attractions in Wiltshire, UK
- Admire the English Gothic architecture in Salisbury Cathedral, the tallest church spire in the United Kingdom.
- Visit Stonehenge to witness the unique linteled stone circle, erected in the late Neolithic period 5000 years back.
- Hang out at Danny’s Craft Restaurant to gorge on American classics like burgers, BBQs, and more.
- Pay a visit to Tithe Barn, a spectacular 14th-century monastic stone barn that is 51 meters long with a classic timber cruck roof.
- Castle Combe is the best place to go if you want to be in awe of natural beauty. It is England’s prettiest village and has Roman villas and parish churches.
Take your kids to Longleat Safari Park, UK’s no.1 safari park to have a sneak peek into the lives of various wild animals.
If you are a chocolate lover, you must’ve thought about running away and living in Chocolate Hills at least once in your life. What if we tell you such a location actually exists? Well, it does and it is in Bohol, Philippines. Bohol is well-known for its unusual geological hills and coral reefs, making it one of Asia’s top October travel destinations.
Attractions in Bohol, Philippines
- Visit one of many 1,260 Chocolate Hills spread over 50 square kilometers. These conical or dome-shaped hills are constructed of limestone that has been covered in grass.
- Click stunning shots at Bamboo Hanging Bridge which is a pair of sturdy, swinging bamboo bridges spanning forested river banks.
- Tarsier Conservatory houses a 45 million-year-old animal family called Tarsiidae (apes and monkeys). These are recognized as endangered species and it’s a thrill to observe them from afar.
- Be in awe of the 19th-century neoclassical style architecture in the Cathedral of San Jose.
- Go on one of the most off-the-beaten-path of Kinahugan Falls on the island for an adventurous experience.
October is an ideal time to travel to Ireland, where Dublin tops the list of touristy places. Go sightseeing in the city’s many parks, castles, and hidden alleys. Experience the local culture by taking in a concert, touring the Guinness brewery (and sampling the black stuff, of course), and mingling with locals. You will have too much fun to care about Dublin’s notoriously wet weather.
Attractions in Dublin, Ireland
- Visit Temple Bar, a busy riverside neighborhood spread over cobbled pedestrian lanes. Crowded restaurants host live folk music and serve Asian, American, and Irish cuisine. It has boutiques that stock clothes and crafts by local designers.
- If you are an art admirer, then visiting one of the many galleries of Dublin Castle is a must.
- Shop to your heart’s content in Grafton Street and sip the most delicious Irish coffee in the coffee house named Bewley.
- Explore the royal gardens of Merrion Square.
- Spot a large herd of wild fallow deer in Phoenix Park. The Park is also home to the Phoenix Park Visitor Center, Áras an Uachtaráin, Zoological Gardens, Victorian Flower Gardens, a Biodiversity Information Center, Phoenix Café, and Tea Rooms.
- Take your kids to Dublin Zoo, home to over 400 rare, exotic and endangered animals worldwide.
Morocco is a fascinating metropolis that looks plucked from a Persian fairytale due to its stunning culture, variety of adventures, historic Medinas, and enchanting combination of mountains and deserts. It has awe-inspiring natural features such as the Saharan oases, the High Atlas mountain ranges, the starry night skies, the craggy beaches, and the hidden caverns. It is home to a wealth of activities such as camel rides in the desert, sampling traditional Moroccan cuisine at sidewalk cafes, and shopping for spices and rugs in the souk. Other attractions here include climbing North Africa’s tallest mountain, unwinding atop panoramic terraces, and revitalizing the senses in traditional hammams. To further explore Morocco, please click here.
Attractions in Morocco, North Africa
- Get lost in the maze of cobblestoned lanes of Marrakesh Medina, which is full of Hammam bathhouses, spices shops, and textile souks.
- Visit Africa’s second largest mosque, Hassan II Mosque. The marble walls and the roof will stun you with their impeccable craftsmanship.
- Fes El Bali is an ancient walled medina with narrow, car-free streets and ornamented entryways. Shop for perfumes, spices, lamps, and leather on these streets.
- Admire the blue beauty of Chefchaouen. This small old town is known for its striking, blue-washed buildings. Leather and weaving workshops line its steep cobbled lanes.
- Gorge traditional delicacies at Bab al-Mansour, the Arab world’s most significant historical landmark built in the city of Meknes.
- Opt for rock climbing at Dadès Gorge. Discover breathtaking rock formations in colors that range from tan and beige to gold, rust red, and dusky mauve.
It is a mesmerizing land that manages to touch your soul and heart. The magnificent monasteries and breath-taking vistas around them are outstanding. It isn’t easy to describe the beauty of Bhutan, but each word used for this gorgeous place stands true. Bhutan’s last month of open season is October, just before the first snowfall of the year. Therefore, October is your last chance to visit Bhutan for its bright sky and verdant valleys. During this period, there were also many celebrations of long-held traditions.
Attractions in Bhutan, India
- Admire Bhutanese Architecture in Rinpung Dzong.
- Get Stunning Views Of The Himalayas at Chele La Pass.
- Visit Punakha Dzong, Second-Largest Dzong In Bhutan. It houses the sacred relics of the southern Drukpa Lineage of the Kagyu school of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Feel the divine powers while observing the Bronze-colored Buddha Dordenma Statue.
- Plan a Picnic at Dochula Pass for its picturesque snow-laden backdrops.
- Don’t forget to trek to Tiger’s Nest Monastery. It is a collection of buildings perched precariously on a cliff, 900 meters off the ground.
When autumn arrives in Asheville, it is hard to beat the city’s brilliant foliage. This time of year in North Carolina is prime time for leaf peeping because the region is home to more than 100 deciduous trees, all of which display brilliant red, yellow, and orange colors in October.
Attractions in Asheville, North Carolina
- Get on to the quaint mountains for hiking and biking trails while traveling to Blue Ridge Parkway, where you can do many outdoor activities.
- Pisgah National Forest offers numerous waterfalls, swimming holes, and trails for fun adventures.
- Check out the evergreen foliage in Craggy Gardens that is overtaken by pink and purple wildflowers.
- Hiking enthusiasts can embark on a multi-day or week-long journey to many of the Appalachian Trail’s highest peaks.
- Enjoy sliding down a natural waterslide in Pisgah National Forest.
While the cherry blossoms of springtime are what most people associate with Japan, the brilliant orange and red leaves that cover Kyoto in October are worth a visit. This season makes the city’s many shrines, temples, and pavilions stand out even more. The Jidai Matsuri (Festival of Ages) and the Kurama no Hi Matsuri (Kurama Fire Festival) are two of the most-awaited festivals in Japan, both of which take place around October. To further explore Kyoto, please click here.
Attractions in Kyoto, Japan
- Visit Fushimi Inari, a 1,300-year-old temple. Go trekking through 10,000 red and orange lacquered torii gates that line the two ½-mile-long paths up Mount Inari, where the shrine sits.
- Check out the Gion neighborhood, which is known for its charming historical features: historic tea houses, willow-lined roads, kaiseki (Japanese haute cuisine) restaurants, wooden ryokan (Japanese guest houses), and shops selling local crafts and antiques.
- Go to Togetsu-Kyo Bridge, which has been traversing the Katsura River since 1934. It makes a great spot for admiring the beauty of cherry blossoms or changing fall foliage.
- Visit the UNESCO site of Ryoanji Temple to see its Zen rock garden, which has 15 large rocks.
- Don’t miss out on Nishiki Market, who’s bustling five-block-long covered market is lined with more than 100 stalls, each one hawking Japanese foods and specialty items.
Nantucket is a little island about 30 miles south of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. It is an attractive summer vacation spot for well-heeled Northeasterners and privileged prep school students. October makes for pleasant weather for strolls along the coast. This month is filled with exciting events on this Massachusetts island, such as the Nantucket Cranberry Festival and the annual Halloween parade.
Attractions in Nantucket, Massachusetts
- Catch a wave and participate in other gnarly watersports at Surfside beach.
- Visit Nantucket’s iconic Brant Point Light, the country’s second oldest lighthouse. It is a picturesque place to take a breather and watch the boats float by the harbor.
- Check out Coskata-Coatue Wildlife Refuge provides a protected habitat for hundreds of osprey and other rare sea birds.
- If you are a water wildlife lover, you will love the Whaling Museum. Check out elaborately engraved (or carved) pieces made out of spare whale bones and teeth at the museum.
Punta Mita is the epitome of a five-star vacation. Luxurious resorts, top-notch golfing, fantastic fishing avenues, and beautiful white sand beaches are what a lavish holiday is all about in this place. Water sports like parasailing, scuba diving, and kayaking can all be found on this exclusive peninsula in Mexico. You may experience some light rain in Punta Mita in October, but the rainy season ends in this area at that time.
Attractions in Punta Mita, Mexico
- Soar above the canopy on ten zip lines and a suspended bridge on the mountains in Riviera Nayarit.
- Go snorkeling in the waters of Marietas Islands, where you can witness dolphins, turtles, surgeonfish, butterflyfish, parrot fish, and balloon fish.
- Discover the natural landscapes around the Mexican countryside on a guided tour on horseback along the beaches.
- Feel the adrenaline thrill when you catch your first wave and ride it into shore while surfing on the beaches.
Albuquerque in New Mexico is the best holiday destination, where the entertainment starts from the city’s Old Town to the zoo, the beach, and the botanic garden. However, the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is the city’s most well-known event that you can’t miss out on. Hundreds of quirky, brightly colored hot air balloons fill the skies in early October over nine days of a fiesta.
Attractions in Albuquerque, Mexico
- Attend Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. Arrive early to catch the Dawn Patrol and Mass Ascension, then stay until the evening for fireworks displays, laser light shows, and the Balloon Glow, when 600 airborne balloons illuminate the night sky with their lit burners.
- Visit ABQ BioPark, home to four distinct attractions: an aquarium, a botanic garden, a zoo, and Tingley Beach.
- Explore the cultures of indigenous tribes that are preserved at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center.
- Take a ride in the cable cars on the Sandia Peak Tramway for excellent views of Albuquerque and the nearby Sandia Mountains.
- Go on a 16-mile-long walking and biking path that traces the Rio Grande River through central Albuquerque, passing major sites like Old Town and the ABQ BioPark.
October offers a bit more breathing room after the departure of summer crowds. So plan a trip to one of these getaways in October. Rehlat can help you with all of your hotel and travel reservations and even create a special package for you. Visit these exotic vacation spots on the list above if you want to get away from the daily grind!