Surrounded by the Thar Desert, the medieval Jaisalmer Fort is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Famed as the Golden City, Jaisalmer reflects bright yellow hues of the sandstone used in building the fort. Some 4,000 descendants of the fort are the earliest inhabitants who continue to live inside its fortified walls, rent-free. The ancestors of these descendants were given the land by local kings in return for their services to the kingdom.
- The fort has four entrance/exit gates, named as Ganesh Pol, Rang Pol, Bhoota Pol, and Hava Pol. The architecture and the beautiful design and carving on the gates are awe inspiring.
- The narrow bustling lanes inside are adorned with classic looking houses, archways, and ornate windows.
Things to See Inside Jaisalmer Fort
The city view from Jaisalmer Fort is stunning. The yellow sandstone houses create a monochromatic magic.
There are a handful of sites that are worth a watch in the fort.
- Maharawal in Chauhata Square
- Tazia tower
- Raj Mahal
- Jawahar Palace – the former residence of the royal family.
- Patwon ki Haveli
- Sadar bazar
- Gadsisar lake
- Bhatia Bazar
Things to Do in Jaisalmer Fort
- Roam around and take in the vibrant & colorful views of the Jaisalmer Fort
- Go boating
- Spend the evening and watch the sunset at Gadisar Lake
- Shop traditional jewelries and local artefacts
- Go for parasailing at Kanoi
- Go for paramotoring and quad biking at Sam Sand Dunes
- Dune bashing is a must at Thar Desert
Essential Information to Plan Your Trip to Jaisalmer
Visiting Hours – Every day from 9 am to 5 pm
Entry Fees: Free
Entry fee for the privately owned Palace Museum – Entrance Fee of Rs. 50/- each for Indian nationals & Rs. 250 for foreign nationals. There is a camera fee of Rs.50/- & video camera fee of Rs. 100/ for all visitors.
How to Reach Jaisalmer?
Jaisalmer airport is 5 km from the city and is well connected with Delhi, Jaipur, and Jodhpur.
The city is well connected to Jaipur with via road too. State government and private buses ply at regular intervals every day.
Where to Stay in Jaisalmer?
The Golden city is filled with breathtaking palaces that have been turned into hotels. Book now and experience luxury like never before.
- Mandir Palace
- Marina Mahal
- Himmatgarh Palace
- Thar Vilas
- Rang Mahal