Still not so popular among tourists, Latvia is a small but lively country that has unspoiled countryside, white sanded secluded beaches and an unpretentious charm that would stun you.
Brief Before We Go on Virtual Latvia Tour
Latvia is a part of the Baltic nations. The neighbors are equally beautiful Estonia and Lithuania.
- Language: Latvian & English
- Currency: Euro
- Main Airport: Riga International Airport
- Riga (Capital City)
Interesting Things You Should Know about Latvia – Europe’s Well-Kept Secret
- Riga, their capital city is known as Paris of North. Almost one-third of the population stays in the capital city.
- 330 miles of sandy beaches would ensure you get sun and shine. Not to forget around 54 per cent of Latvia is forest, making it one of Europe’s greenest countries.
- They have a friendly rivalry with Estonia.
- Most top female models come from Latvia.
- The country has one of the world’s oldest flag.
- Jacob W. Davis, a Lativian was the inventor of Jeans.
- Prison is an attraction here and you can sign up to stay there. The former military prison in the town of Karosta is a hostel and you can opt for a “full prisoner experience” package. Just to let you know, the package includes uniformed officers, prison style less luxurious living, verbal abuse and organised physical exercise.
Top 10 Attractions of Latvia
- Riga – the Capital City
- Gauja National Park
- Rundale Palace and Museum
- Turaida Museum Reserve
How to get there?
Latvia is easily accessible by flights, cruise, ad buses from most of Europe. Riga International Airport is the largest airport and is connected by flights from Europe and Asia directly.
The airport is approx. 13 kms from the city centre. Private cars and public buses ply on the route and are quite affordable.
Where to stay and what to eat?
Riga is filled with top class hotels from major popular hotel chains. Choose your stay from 5 star to budget accommodation. If you wish to experience like a local, stay, pick and book a hotel from country side out of Riga.
Our Top Hotel Pick for your Latvia Stay
- Dome Hotel & Spa
- Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel
- Radisson Blu Elizabete Hotel
- Hotel Roma
- Grand Palace Hotel
Mushrooms, fish, strawberries, cherries, and honey are Latvia’s best kept gourmet secrets. Indulge in some and we are sure you would just repeat your trip just for the food.
Budget for Latvia Travel
Here’s an approximate cost for goods and services in the country. Please note the actual cost may vary a bit.
- Three course meal in a restaurant – 23 to 30 USD
- Lunch – 4 to 6 USD
- Public transport ticket for one trip – 2 USD
- Public transport ticket for a day – 6 USD
- Taxi ride form the airport to the city centre – 13 to 16 USD
Useful Words & Phrases
Thank you – Paldies
Please/you’re welcome – Lūdzu
Good morning – Labrīt
Hello/greetings – Sveicināti
Good day/afternoon – Labdien
Good-bye/see you again – Uz redzēšanos
Good night – Ar labu nakti
Cheers! – Priekā!
Good evening – Labvakar
Yes – Jā
No – Nē
Taxi – Taksometrs
Bus/coach – Autobuss
Shop – Veikals
Police – Policija
Currency exchange – Valūtas maiņa
Hotel – Viesnīca
Visa for Latvia
Schengen visa is required for visit to Latvia. With Schengen visa, you can visit all 26 member countries of the Schengen Area.
List of Schengen countries are:
- Czech Republic
Latvia is calling, let’s go.